Guest posts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Facing my fear and finding my voice...

For several years I've had another blog that's related to my other life and my dual roles as the mom of a very large family and as an adoption specialized therapist. My other blog has never been a challenge to write because I know that audience in the way one knows those who share the challenges that go with a particular type of life or family. I wrote that blog as much for myself as for anyone else - it was more like a journal than a blog.  This blog, however, is very, very different for me.

I decided to write this blog for a couple of reasons - a) I wanted to join the community of writing bloggers to learn more about writing and blogging and selling and all that goes with that group; and, b) I wanted to have a platform to present my work to a wider audience. This time, however, there is a huge risk for me - I don't likely have a common base with many of you - being a writer doesn't tell others much about a person - it doesn't define the lifestyle or the values or the daily challenges the way being a parent of a large adoptive family does. I'm also really intimidated by the quality of the writing in the writer's blogs - don't get me wrong - the adoption blogs have some of the best writers I've ever read - but I didn't read their blogs for the quality of their writing any more than they read mine for that reason.

I'm also intimidated by the quality of the thinking - again - some amazing and insightful thinkers in the adoption community - but somehow still not intimidating to me the way the writer's blogs are. I'm intelligent enough to get  a Ph.D. and write some books that were published in the traditional way - even teach at a university for a while as well has run a successful practice - but to be honest I'm not very emotionally deep by nature and that shows in my blog writing all to well!

Still, I'm finding my way and I'll find my voice. I intend my blog to be a place where struggling or beginning authors can showcased and where I can  present my own thoughts on my writing process. So I  begin - wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Thank you for the follow (from bookblogs). I think we have quite a bit in common! I am a psychologist from Oz and am still finding my feet in the world of writing, having just released my first YA novel. I've even separated my two roles by writing under a psuedonym for privacy purposes. I started blogging about 6 months ago to learn more about marketing and link up with writers and readers and boy has it been a huge learning curve!

    I'll definitely check in to see how you are going.

    Jayne
    http://australianbookshelf.wordpress.com
    http://jaynefordham.com

    ReplyDelete