Guest posts

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Guest post for "The Wraith"by Arielle Strauss

The Wraith

Arielle StraussThe Wraith

Arielle Strauss is a twenty-two year old author, actress, and percussionist originally from Freehold, New Jersey. She graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts from Sarah Lawrence College, where she began to write “The Wraith Trilogy.” She’s pleased to finally share her first novel, “The Wraith,” with the world, and is currently working on its sequel.


The Wraith – Ophelia Weller never believed in ghosts until the night she became one. But when the aftermath of a frat party on the most haunted campus in America leaves her face to face with her own naked corpse, she really has no other option. Now a wraith, Ophelia is a spirit hidden amongst the living. Forced to conceal her undead identity from the world, and struggling to remain visible to the humans around her, how will she ever manage to convince her dearest friend of the truth? Or muster the courage to tell her beautiful gym partner that she just may be in love with her? And, with no memory of her death, how will Ophelia solve the mystery of her murder?



Guest Post 

NaNoWriMo...With A Twist

I always admired people who successfully completed National Novel Writing Month. I mean, to write an entire 50,000 word novel in 30 days is hugely impressive. But what if you only had 28 days? And it had to be a young adult paranormal romance novel? 

February is Antwinowrimo, Anti Twilight Novel Writing Month. Now, don't get me wrong; I read the complete Twilight Saga. And I enjoyed it. Yes, there were aspects of the series I didn't appreciate, but as a whole I had a great deal of fun reading those books. The challenge of Antwinowrimo is to write a novel that's better. On February 1st 2010, I began to attempt this crazy task.

I had no idea what I wanted to write about at first. I figured since there were so many stories about vampires and wolves, I would write a story about a ghost. Her name would be Ophelia, after the Shakespearean heroine. And her love interest would be a living girl she met at school. To this day, I've never read a young adult paranormal romance novel where the lead character is bisexual. Sure, I've seen bisexuality represented in television and in movies, but never in the form of a book geared toward people my own age. So I wrote Ophelia in the hopes that young people like her might finally see themselves represented.

Let me tell you, the first draft of this book is vastly different from the published version. I wrote "The Wraith" my freshman year of college. It was published three months after I graduated. Needless to say, the editing process was a long one. But during those four years, I completed the trilogy as schoolwork. 

If you're a creative writing student, I urge you to try and convince your professors to oversee the projects you want to focus on. I know I wouldn't have come as far as publishing if my professors hadn't lent me their guidance every step of the way. "The Wraith" is a story of a tortured soul who comes to find love and meaning all around her. I hope you enjoy the first two books. Book 3 will arrive before you know it!



No comments:

Post a Comment